Every child deserves school stability.
Avon Community School Corporation is a place where ALL belong, learn, and grow. Even if you lack a permanent residence, your children can receive help to stay here, in their home school district. The McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act can help provide school stability for your child if you do not have a permanent home and are:
- Staying with friends or family because you lost housing.
- Living in a shelter, including transitional programs.
- Staying in motels because you cannot get your own home.
- Living on the streets, in a car, van, tent or other non-permanent structure.
Homeless Students' Rights
This summary of homeless students' rights was provided by the Indiana Department of Education.
The McKinney Vento Act provides certain rights for homeless students. They include waiving certain requirements such as proof of residency when students are enrolling and allowing categorical eligibility for certain services, such as free textbooks. The Act also states:
- Homeless students may attend their school of origin or the school where they are temporarily residing;
- Homeless students must be provided a written statement of their rights when they enroll and at least two times per year;
- Homeless students may enroll without school, medical, or similar records;
- Homeless students have a right to transportation to school;
- Students must be provided a statement explaining why they are denied any service or enrollment;
- Students must receive services, such as transportation, while disputes are being settled;
- Students are automatically eligible for Title I services;
- School districts must reserve a portion of Title IA funds to serve homeless students;
- School districts must review and revise policies that provide barriers to homeless students;
- Schools must post information in the community regarding the rights of homeless students, in schools and other places that homeless families may frequent; and
- School districts must identify a McKinney Vento Liaison to assist students.