Our Special Education Department operates in all 11 schools in our corporation—elementary through high school—and our Developmental Preschool is housed at the White Oak Early Learning Center. We are committed to supporting all students with special needs through:
- working closely with parents/guardians to understand your child's needs,
- assembling individualized educational programs designed to help each student succeed to the best of their ability,
- coordinating services provided by educators, therapists, instructional assistants, and school staff,
- providing ongoing training and education to help educators and staff remain properly trained, and
- offering guidance across the school district to ensure Avon Schools continues to excel in serving students with special needs.
In Avon, educational services are available to students eligible under the Individuals with Disabilities Education and Improvement Act (IDEIA) and Indiana's Article 7 rules. We serve students who have disabilities in the following categories:
|Autism||Blind or Low Vision||Deaf-Blind|
|Developmental Delay||Deaf or Hard of Hearing||Emotional Disability|
|Language or Speech Impairment||Multiple Disabilities||Other Health Impaired|
|Orthopedic Impairment||Specific Learning Disability||Traumatic Brain Injury|
Would your child benefit from our services?
The Special Education Department coordinates assessments to determine if children are eligible for special education and then oversees the provision of all special education and related services. If you need any help locating the information you're looking for or if you have additional questions, please contact us today.
District leaders have been hard at work behind the scenes attempting to find ways to maintain and even increase our momentum so we can do even more on behalf of students and educators. To that end, we're excited to announce that Avon Schools has recently won three competitive grants totaling over $500,000.
Several AHS Work Study students serve at the Avon Education Foundation SOS Store. It is an especially rewarding assignment for both the students and the beneficiaries of their hard work — our teachers.
Speech and language students at Pine Tree Elementary had the opportunity to participate in writing a book about their time in speech. Now they have a book that details their experience.
Avon Schools Administration Center
7203 East U.S. Highway 36
Avon, IN 46123
p: (317) 544-6070
f: (317) 544-6080
Director of Special Education
Assistant Director of Special Education
Blind & Low Vision