Welcome to White Oak Elementary School’s Counseling Program website. White Oak Elementary is character-based school where students not only learn the academic skills needed to succeed but also the life skills needed to become a successful adult. The counseling program offers that outlet for students to learn about themselves and others through classroom guidance lessons, school-wide character education programs, group counseling, and individual counseling.
All of the Avon Elementary counseling programs have the philosophy that the whole child matters, and we create an environment that guides the child to find his or her potential.We work collaboratively with teachers and parents, which, in turn, positively affects the students. We get to know the students and recognize the strengths in each one of them.
Who is an Elementary School Counselor?
An Elementary School Counselor is a certified professional who works within a child's total environment to assist him/her in addressing his/her academic, behavioral, emotional and social needs.School Counselor helps to empower children to feel good about themselves and aids them in the process of making positive decisions that lead to healthy and meaningful lives.
What does the Elementary School Counselor do?
- Serves as a "friendly helper" for ALL students and works with students on an individual basis and in small groups
- Facilitates classroom guidance and counseling sessions, helps identify student needs, and assists in assessment of students with special needs
- Oversees Character Education initiatives at the elementary level
- Consults with parents, teachers, administrators, and community agencies and aids in coordinating referrals to outside agencies
With what types of things can a Counselor help?
The School Counselor can provide support services to address a number of issues, including (though certainly not limited to) the following:
* Anger Management * Coping Skills * Anxiety * Divorce/Changing Families * Self-Esteem * Behavior Modification * Friendship Skills * Social Skills * Conflict Resolution * Grief and Loss * Stress Management
How does a student see the Counselor?
Students can see the Elementary Counselor via a self-referral, parental request, and/or teacher or administrative referral.
Sessions may be held on a regular, ongoing basis or simply as needed.
Useful Links for parentsGetting Help for My Child:General Interest:
For the Differently-abled Students and their families:
Regarding ADHD:Grief and Loss:
Each month, Mrs. Gullion visits every classroom at White Oak to deliver a classroom lesson. These lessons have to do with a range of topics regarding social and emotional health. Some classes will participate in a pre-test and a post-test in order for our K-4 counselors to gather data to show that our lessons are making a positive impact in our schools. Students will use this link for that pre-test/post-test when Mrs. Gullion instructs them to do so: