Return to Headlines
- Avon Transportation transports over 8,000 students to and from school each day.
- Avon school buses are equipped with GPS (global positioning satellite) to help provide parents with real time access to the location of their child's bus.
- Avon has over 170 buses and support vehicles in its fleet.
- Avon buses run about 480 routes each day.
- Buses consume over 200,000 gallons of fuel annually.
- Avon buses travel in excess of 1.1 million miles each year. That's about 40 times around the equator!
- The most dangerous maneuver performed with a bus is backing.
- Each driver must possess a CDL (commerical driving license) with an "S" endorsement (school bus) and a "P" endorsement (passenger).
- Buses must pass a state police inspection each year.
- Buses must pass a pre-trip inspection each day prior to departure.
Safety & Efficiency:
- A school bus is the safest way to get to and from school, nearly 10 times safer than traveling in a passenger vehicle, according to data from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
- Buses use their eight-way light system and stop arm when picking up and dropping off students. Corner stops allow ample time for the driver to activate the yellow warning lights before getting to the stop.
- Bus drivers, especially substitutes, can see corner stops much more easily than house numbers so they can keep their foucs on their driving. House numbers are located in a variety of places on houses and are often not easily visible from the street, especially in bad weather and before dawn or after dusk.
- Ride times for students are shorter if buses are kept on main roads and are not sent down every street. Route changes for new students can be more easily accommodated whens stops are at corners.
- Minimizing stops will also reduce costs for fuel as well as wear and tear on buses.
- Students who walk or wait at school bus stops should dress appropriately for winter weather.
- Stay alert! Hoodies, headphones, and portable electronic devices can distract students from paying attention to their surroundings.
- Students should never run after the bus. Please plan ahead and allow sufficient time to get to the bus stop.